From Stephen Walsh@39:901/280 to All on Thu Aug 15 17:11:00 2013
    er and a pass-through Datassette
    port.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlETiRTfoAU

www.manosoft.it

TXTTOSEQ RELEASED

txttoseq.codeplex.com/

TxtToSeq is a program that translates between tokenized Commodore SEQ files
    and PC Text files. There are many text editors available for the PC to create text files, but very few (and no good ones) for creating Commodore SEQ files
    on the PC. The program allows you to create Commodore SEQ files on the PC by editing as Text in your favorite editor and then converting the text to a Commodore SEQ file by running this small utilitity. You can perform the opposite operation of converting a Commodore SEQ file to a Text file as well.

Representing Commodore special characters on the PC is done through a markup syntax. The Commodore computers do not have curly braces and so they make the perfect tags for creating the markup syntax.

A few examples of the syntax are as follows:

Markup Action
    {CLEAR} Clear the screen
    {UP} Move cursor up one line
    {BLUE} Make current color blue
    {ULCORNER} Draw the special character
    for the upper left corner
    of a box
    {97} Insert PETSCII character
    97 (decimal)

A sample Text document:

{BLUE}Bridge BBS Wait For Call Menu
    {RVON}{WHITE}F1{RVOFF}{YELLOW}
    Local Login
    {RVON}{WHITE}F3{RVOFF}{YELLOW}
    Sysop Login
    {RVON}{WHITE}F5{RVOFF}{GREEN}
    Edit User
    {RVON}{WHITE}F7{RVOFF}{GREEN}
    Caller Log

THE E COMPILER X (ECX) PROJECT

www.blubbedev.net/ecx/

The E Compiler X (ECX) project was born in 2002 to replace and improve on the AmigaE language and compiler (EC) created by Wouter van Oortmerssen that was discontiniued in 1998. ECX is written from scratch in E and compiles itself.
    It is fast, stable, resource efficient, highly compatible, generates quite okayish code (for multiple targets) and adds a considerable amount of (actually useful) new features and improvements :)

NIBTOOLS UPDATE RELEASED

c64preservation.com/files/nibtools/

Pete Rittwage has released a new version of NIBTOOLS.

NIBTOOLS is a system to transfer data from original diskettes to a G64 or D64 disk image. These diskette images can be used with emulators or can be used to create new (real) diskettes. Changes in this version: Support for half tracks for almost all the tools. Nibconv now creates "standard" G64 files, which can have a different maximum track lengths, speed zones, and missing (unformatted) tracks. Improvements for ZoomFloppy.

REQUIREMENTS:

Commodore Disk Drive model 1541, 1541-II or 1571, modified to support the parallel XP1541 or XP1571 interface [1]

XP1541 or XP1571 cable and XE1541, XA1541, or XM1541 cable [1] or XEP1541, XAP1541, or XMP1541 combination cable [1] or XUM1541 (ZoomFloppy) with OpenCBM 0.5+

Windows NT/2000/XP/Vista/Windows 7, x64 or x86 Editions, with OpenCBM 0.4.2 or higher Linux with OpenCBM 0.4.0 or higher, MS/DR/Caldera DOS and cwsdpmi.exe software (no longer tested but still compiles with DJGPP for old <=P3 hardware)

BOINGS WORLD #40

boingsworld.de/

A new episode of BoingsWorlds (the German language Podcast) is now available. In this podcast You can listen to the following articles: X-Surf, AresOne PPC, CC 2013 Berlin, Petro Tyschtschenko A1200, Alinea Umbrella, Retro Rechner Quartett, Amiga Forever, Dave Needle, Aladdin 4D, KEYRAH V2, Indivision AGA, Richard Löwenstein (Kultboy), Lets Bounce,Twinky Goes Hiking, Quadranoid, Cubis, Topcross, North Sea Inferno, Norse Gods Amiga, Wendetta 2175 Amiga, Amiga Joker, Spieleschreiber Blog, Return Magazin, Retro Gamer and the Retro meeting Radio Paralax Video.

A1200 REPAIR VIDEO

www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfHU97FmdU4

RetroGameModz has made a video about the audio repair of an Amiga 1200. In the video you can see many tips and working methods for repairing retro hardware such as: Visual inspection, audio filter circuit, testing, schematics, measurements, disassembling, new components and final testing.

RETROGAMEMODZ SAYS

This Amiga 1200 motherboard first came in with an audio problem. It was easy
    to see during initial inspection that this motherboard had been "recapped" earlier. I was not very impressed with how the solder joints on the electrolytic capacitors looked

In fact, the extremely poor solder job done on this motherboard by the
    previous recapper was the reason the motherboard had to come in to me for repair in the first place. In this documented repair, I go through the process of locating and repairing the audio problem. I also put some focus on the solder job, as well as a few other bits and pieces that I wanted to fix up before sending the motherboard back to its owner.

I also present to you a rather stupid mistake I made during the repair of this motherboard in order to make it possible for you guys to learn from my
    mistakes as well. I then perform a lot of testing before finally packing the motherboard and sending it off. The message from this video stands clear - If you do not have the right tools and skills to solder, you might be much better off just leaving your motherboard alone. Because soldering without any knowledge of how to do it right means that there is a big risk of damaging the motherboard, which can actually make it work worse than it did before. This whole repair is a very good example of such a result, since the motherboard would never have come in to me for repair if it hadn't been for the horrible work performed by the previous recapper.

It is of course not possible to learn how to solder without a bit of practice first. However, there is lots of electronic equipment out there to practice
    on, like scrap PC motherboards for example. In my opinion, Amiga motherboards should not be seen as solder practicing PCBs.

"We, the people of the Amiga community, need to take good care of
    the hardware in order to preserve it. Anyone who cares about the
    maintained existence of Amiga hardware should realize that soldering
    onto the motherboard without any knowledge of how to do it correctly
    will most probably destroy the Amiga more than it will preserve it."

So if you have an Amiga or other piece of retro hardware that you want to have repaired, and if that repair requires soldering, I would recommend you to ask someone for help if you don't feel absolutely comfortable doing it yourself. This goes especially for hardware that you care about and want to preserve. If you choose to not follow this advice, it's possible that your motherboard will end up lying on my workbench one day... :)

The transparent tape used in the video to attach the wire to the motherboard:

Google for "Double Sided Tape with Red Release Paper and Transparent Foam".

If you live in Sweden, you can buy it here: www.clasohlson.com/se/Monteringstejp-Super/31-1633

The yellowish tape used in the video is called "kapton tape" or "polyimide tape". Ebay, amazon, your local electronics store... It can be found just
    about anywhere. Feel free to leave questions and comments in the comment section for the video.

CLUB INFO 130 FOR THE C16 RELEASED

This is a German language d64 magazine or disk magazine for the Commodore
    C116, C16 and the Plus/4, containing the following articles: Forum, For Sale, Tips & Tricks, CBM Filebrowser, General F-Copy, Asteriods, Liberator, Galaxy Wars, Tunnel, Computer Spa, Plus/4 Itern (10), Games Guide: Lode Runner and Scapeghost, User Guide: Games Creator and Other Systems.

plus4world.powweb.com/software/Club_Info_130

RL DACC MEMORY PARTITIONS

COMMODORE FREE: I saw this email recently and

--- Mystic BBS BBS v1.10 A36 (Linux)
    * Origin: Dragon's Lair BBS, Telnet: bbs.vk3heg.net (39:901/280)