• Commodore Free, Issue 70 - Part10

From Stephen Walsh@39:901/281 to all on Mon May 13 17:48:02 2013

Q. You plan to charge for these RETROFIT games what do you think the charge would be to the end user and how will the games be delivered across the
    various platforms?

No more than say 50 cents per title. It would be distributed as a patched emulator, and a patched emulator snapshot.

- - - - - - - - - -

Q. Do you think the process could be improved further or is this as far as you are going to take the process, I was thinking here about adding features like
    2 player links and stereo music playback for Commodore 64 games, maybe even enhanced colour pallets

That would be possible, yes! Again, less work to decompile and debug and
    patch, than rewrite for more colourful graphics.

- - - - - - - - - -

Q. Have you had much feedback about the Retrofit demo you released

Nope.

- - - - - - - - - -

Q. Finally do you have any comments you would like to add

There's an easter egg: If you play the Lords of Chaos retrofit, 'End Turn' and when the computer takes it's turn, you can see all its monsters (and the wizard) move around the map. Normally the screen is blanked out for the computer's turn.

This is a hack I wrote when I was 16. But I'd like people to email me with ideas and comments. Feedback is very important for this kind of project.

Cheers,
    Jeremy.

Decompiler Technologies
    decompiler.org/

Decompiler Technologies - RetroFit Project
    www.sanfransys.com/retrofit/

REVIEW: LADYBUG FOR THE PET

Mr. NOP from (NOP Software) has released a game for the PET called LadyBug

The game is Free to download and available from here

sdrv.ms/ZAWsjE

The idea for the game is that you must Navigate your ladybug throughout the maze whilst collecting food. You can Swing the doors to block the predators from reaching you. Some of the levels have faster enemy speeds, and level 4
    has an invisible maze! The default keys are 2,4,6,8 on the numeric keypad. You may need to redefine them to work on the 2001/30xx PETs. Some PETs use
    location 151 to read the keyboard, the 2001 uses location 515.

Different version of the game for models of the PET are included with the download as well as a brief note about the game as a txt file

You have a

* 30xx.d64
    * 40xx.d64
    * 2001.d64

Unfortunately just before I tried to test the game my PET seemed to become quite ill displaying some signs of not actually working at all, so I have to revert to reviewing the game under WINVICE not something I like to do as I prefer seeing the game on the original hardware, yes I do play on emulators to capture the screen shots. Anyway this caused me some problems because the game kept loading in 80 column mode, I haven't used or had this problem so a brief note to the author was need for help and this is what I found out (should you wish to try the game under emulation)

Start the emulator and then click SETTINGS from the menu then click PET SETTINGS

Then click INPUT OUTPUT and select 40 columns

Now when I have played games for snapshots or screen capture before on the PET I never had to change anything, anyway..................

I selected a PET3008 and used the 30XX.D64

The other thing to note is that the first file on the disk is a file called Source Code.prg and of course will not start the game; so load "*",8,1 isnt going to work here, I just edited the D64 to remove the first file to make things easy to load; but a load "$",8 will show the directory then you can of course load the file by its name, the second file in the list of course!

Anyway with that out the way the game should start

Quite a nice menu; and you get some instructions and of course can redefine
    the keys, If you do after you have selected your last key you need to press SPACE to get back to the menu it's not immediately obvious!

Pressing SPACE starts the game

It looks quite nice using the pets inbuilt ASCII to created the screen characters it works well and is clearly laid out you are the O character

And start bottom middle of the screen!

You move around eating the dots and can trap or divert the monsters by moving the gate to block their path -o- denotes a movable game move to it and it will change directions from horizontal to vertical, sound is what you would expect for the PET, it wasn't known for its musical abilities

SCORES

Graphics: 7/10
    Sound: 7/10
    Playability: 7/10
    Overall: 7/10

Very nice pet game, it's a really old school vibe but very well implemented.

=====================================

--- CrashWrite 2.0
    * Origin: --:)-- Dragon's Lair BBS --(:- (39:901/281)