• Commodore Free, Issue 68 - Part13

From Stephen Walsh@39:901/281 to all on Tue Mar 26 20:06:15 2013
    the into. The music is suitable for the type of game your about to play;
    and complete with what sounds of things like crickets clicking and of course the ubiquitous gunfire. The into sets the scene; and story line for the game series, I couldn't find a way out of the into; so I had to reboot my machine
    to get the menu back, anyone enlighten me on a method to do this without the rebooting would be welcomed. If left the intro rolls through and then repeats from the beginning, it's worth watching and of course sets the scene for the trilogy.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

THE LAST AMAZON

In the early 1990s, an energetic young UNICEF worker travelled to the remotest parts of South America's rain forests. Her job was to carry out a vaccination program among some isolated Indian tribes. She carried with her a rifle, a bulletproof vest, a bag of vaccines and syringes, and a small short wave
    radio. She was lost without a sign for five years.

Player 1 controls The Last Amazon.

Player 2 controls the trained Turkey Buzzard (armed with vicious short-range attack claws).

Stage 1: Defend your village from drug dealers and fight your way to the narcotics factory.

Stage 2: Your village has been destroyed! Infiltrate the army base to free the captured villagers.

Stage 3: You have been captured by the military! Escape from the enemy camp
    and free other captives as you go.

Stage 4: Battle in the treetops against the enemy helicopter and jetpack troopers!

Hints & Tips

* Look out for power-ups in the landscape - these will improve your score and
    armaments.

* Kill enemies in watchtowers before moving onwards.

* To climb fences, find damaged sections and waggle joystick left and right
    while moving upwards.

* Learn to hide in the undergrowth. This is very useful when attacked from
    behind.

* The TURKEY BUZZARD is best used if it follows in the wake of The Last
    Amazon. Why not let a friend join in and help you steer it.

* When everything else fails, RUN FOR COVER!

The intro screen shows

A not really suitable techno warble intro sounds out; the music doesn't seem
    to loop, the tune is OK but not really fitting to the game. With the words press space so I did! You now have a menu with a more suitable sound track fitting the game, slow and plenty of hi hat clicking action, that warbled
    synth is still there though!

Pressing fires takes you into the game.

If you are a SUECK fan then this is a game for you! released by Psytronik software and created by Alf Ynge with the help of Richard Bayliss adding extensions and enhancements, this game is one person (well OK you can have two players) against the world type of game where you possess a gun, collect various items and shoot the enemies on a top down scrolling landscape; this is the first game in the series (erm hence the title last Amazon 1)

You are deep in the jungle and surrounded by enemy troops, as a single player you move around shooting ala commando style collecting power ups and shooting the enemies. It's quite fast and surprisingly entertaining; especially when
    you think this is just a SEUCK game, again both Alf and Richard have mastered the SEUCK engine to perfection pushing it way beyond its capabilities, both these guys can really pull the best features out of the game design engine.

Not sure about the two guys waving on the start screen as I couldn't do anything with them; but the hut in the centre has something to collect, the movement paths of the enemies are well thought out and so too is the fact that some of the enemies seem to turn round and come back on themselves, of course it's a trick but the illusion is a good one; and in the early game play
    tricked me enough to kill me straight away as I lay in ambush mode for the
    next enemy coming down; of course any soldier knows he has to watch his rear!

Lots of enemies and gunfire slow the SEUCK engine down; but it's all carefully crafted here; as you would expect with 2 expert veterans at the programming helm.

Scores

Graphics: 7/10
    Sounds: 7/10
    Gameplay: 7/10
    Overall: 7/10

Surprisingly good, its better then you first imagine, don't let the SEUCK engine put you off at least having a look.

LAST AMAZON 2

After her ordeal in the Amazon jungle, she left her adopted tribe. She moved
    to a small desert town in Arizona, USA and found new friends who she came to call family. Finally she had peace in her life...

But a South American drug lord, whose drug factory she had destroyed, wanted revenge. He sent an army of mercenaries and hit men to raze the town to the ground and kill her. Now she must defend the town and herself as The Last Amazon ... One last time?

Player 1 controls The Last Amazon.

Player 2 controls The last Amazon's dog, with limited attack range.

Hints & Tips

* Look out for power-ups in the landscape.

* The drug lord's hitmen can hide behind corners and cactuses. Look carefully
    for their hiding places, and shoot them twice to stop them.

* Hide behind cactuses to avoid the fast-running mercenaries.

* Sandbags in the landscape will stop bullets.

* Send out the dog ahead of The Last Amazon to attack hard-to-reach enemies.

* In the mountains, find the safest footpath leading to the top.

* Timing your shotgun blasts is essential to success!

So with no way to quit the first part I had to reload the game and select option 3 to load the second part of the trilogy. More music to accompany this intro screen, it sound quite military at first with the hi hats and snare drum punting out a marching beat; but as the music and warbling synths come in; its more like an A-Team tribute (although not as in this case here) Ermm

OK

moving swiftly on then, again the music doesn't loop; so you could sit in silence and look at the picture or just press space to play the game !

Of Curse Doing so .......

Darn it I should have done the latter as I have sat here for well over an hour in silence and looking at a loading screen..

OK space pressed

Again we have the menu and the music starts, it's more of the same really starting inside this time; then moving out into the desert. You collect
    various bonuses and power ups, the speed of the action is up there and the amount on screen for a SEUCK Game is amazing; of course be it with enhancements; its almost like SEUCK wasn't used at all! Its fast and furious, and the inside section where you have to navigate corridors is well thought out; with enemies blocking walkways and making it almost impossible to move,
    as with all SEUCK engines though learning the enemies movement patterns is the key to finishing the game. Great stuff though! If you have ever tried your
    hand at creating a SEUCK game of any quality you know how much effort and time is needed; and it shows with this game.

Scores

Graphics: 7/10
    Sounds: 7/10
    Gameplay: 7/10
    Overall: 7/10

LAST AMAZON SE

OK its time for something a little different again I reboot to get the menu back, it really is a pity there is no way to do this in the game but...

Load Em Up

Anyone who wishes she was facing the other way round obviously doesn't get out much! Again some music plays although not really in keeping with the Amazon theme it's more fast paced almost a techno styleeee

Pressing SPACE then....

Ahhh we see a sideways scroller is used for this

Time for something special, and for UK. readers no its not mister tumble! although he does seem to be on everything these days that's released by the BBC, maybe he is cheaper than anyone else, I dare you to say he isn't funny though! Heck I paid good money to see him live..

OK moving on then ..

The Last Amazon Special Edition

As an extra bonus the disk also contains the THE LAST AMAZON - SPECIAL
    EDITION. This is a special SIDEWAYS SCROLLING version of the first Last Amazon adventure created exclusively for this comp
    --- CrashWrite 2.0
    * Origin: --:)-- Dragon's Lair BBS --(:- (39:901/281)