• Commodore Free, Issue 68 - Part10

From Stephen Walsh@39:901/281 to all on Tue Mar 26 20:02:13 2013
    recorded back to cassette tape

sourceforge.net/projects/tapclean/

CINEMAWARE IS BACK ON AMIGAOS!

Notes from the website

Cinemaware in cooperation with Hyperion Entertainment are proud to announce
    the re-distribution of its classic Amiga 68K Cinemaware titles. Through the magic of emulation and genuine Amiga ROMs, you can once again play titles such as Defender of the Crown® on PowerPC-based AmigaOS systems with a simple
    double click of the mouse. Everything you need to run these classic Cinemaware games is already included in AmigaOS 4.1. There is even an option for using an original joystick via the Catweasel joystick driver for a truly nostalgic experience.

All registered AmigaOS owners now have access to these Cinemaware games at www.hyperion-entertainment.biz in the downloads section. Customers can simply choose the games they are interested in and click download. Manuals are also included for a majority of the games.

AmigaOS has evolved from its humble beginnings on those original 68k systems and so has Cinemaware. Cinemaware not only has a brand new web site at www.cinemaware.com, but Cinemaware titles are also available for iOS such as Defender of the Crown® and the upcoming The King of Chicago™. You can expect many more classic Cinemaware titles to be available on a portable device near you soon! Also keep an eye out for Cinemaware Kickstarter projects which will reboot your favourite titles with HD graphics and new game play content!

Hyperion Entertainment is offering these games as a free bonus for all its AmigaOS customers, and is distributing these games with the full cooperation
    of Cinemaware. Issues may be posted at support.amigaos.net where we will do
    our best to help you.

drink: :drink: :drink:

edit: Cinemaware have also announced this re-release on their website, their twitter account, twitter.com/Cinemaware/status/296298050916347904 and their facebook page. www.facebook.com/cinemaware/posts/474185685952603
    Always nice to see some publicity for the Amiga from outside the community!

SUPERPET .D80 IMAGES

Sent: 28 January 2013 13:59
    To: COMMODORE FREE
    Subject: SuperPet .D80 images

Hi all - I know that this is mostly a C64 list, but I have posted the SuperPet disks in 8050 format (.D80) on my site. I want to be sure the process worked, if anyone has a SuperPet and wants to test, please download from this location and test. You can use CBMxfer to build the 8050 disks, using ZoomFloppy or whatever you have to make IEEE disks from a .D80 image.

Or try the disks with your VICE for SuperPet (is there one?).

www.vintagecomputer.net/commodore/superpet/

I also uploaded the demo programs I wrote in Pascal for the Vintage Computer Festival East a few years ago, should anyone want some code samples. It took
    me a while to figure out how to print from Pascal, there is no example in the manual. The trick is to change the default console.

(note I also have a D64 that I got from some place else in this dir, not sure what's on it).

Bill

AMAZON.COM NOW SELLING DAVE
    HAYNIE'S DEATHBED VIGIL VIDEO

Now available from Amazon.com as NTSC DVD is Dave Haynie's movie about the final days at Commodore Business Machines, "The Deathbed Vigil and Other Tales of Digital Angst". Previously available from him at www.frogpondmedia.com/dbv/index.html and on Cloanto's Amiga Forever DVD, the Deathbed Vigil gives insight into scenes behind CBM. Here is a brief message from Dave --

Now available on Amazon.com: The Deathbed Vigil and other tales of digital angst. This is my "home movie" about the days leading up to the Commodore bankruptcy. A "must" for any Amiga or Commodore fan :-)

www.amazon.com/Deathbed-Vigil-other-tales+digital/dp/B00B1X898K/ref=sr_1_1 ?ie=UTF8&qid

A big thumbs-up,
    Robert Bernardo

Fresno Commodore User Group videocam.net.au/fcug

REVIVAL STUDIOS NEWS

Commodore Free: Not strictly just commodore but related so

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

COLECOVISION / SEGA SG-1000 / MSX - ASTRODODGE UPDATE !

You've probably been reading about this release is the last news update. Well, I can announce the game is finished, so here is an update on the status for each platform.

MSX - This game is being shipped right now, most preorders have been emailed and their copy is under way. If you have a combined-order with other games, I might wait a bit before contacting

Colecovision - Due to christmas-season chaos, production of the boards got a little delay (our order was cancelled without notification). However, I can tell you the boards have arrived now and the game is now being assembled. I will contact all preorders one by one with payment and shipping instructions over the next week.

Sega SG-1000 - Boards are ready to be assembled, but still need to make their way back to Europe. from the other end of the world. Like the Colecovision I will contact all preorders one by one with payment and shipping once their
    copy is assembled and ready to ship. So please a bit more patience.

For those that haven't preordered/registered their interest yet, now is the time to do so!

To read more about the game and see the trailer(s), please check out their webpages:

* Colecovision - www.revival-studios.com/?page=149

* MSX / MSX2 - www.revival-studios.com/?page=148

* Sega SG-1000 - www.revival-studios.com/?page=147

The games are still available for order. Register your order/interest now and
    I will add you to the shipping-list!

IN THE NEWS - THE MAKING OF MAGE: THE ENCHANTED CRYSTALS (VIDEOPAC/ODYSSEY2)

Retro Gamer magazine is running an article/interview this month in their magazine (issue 111) about the making of Mage: The Enchanted Crystals. It
    tells a bit about the how the game (and its sequels) were set up and shows a nice image of some of the tools I used.

You can find a photo of this interview on my website at:

www.revival-studios.com/media/videopac/mage/mage_makingof.jpg

Make sure to check it out!

GAME REVIEWS - AVALANCHE (VIC20) & DOWN! (ZX81)

Avalanche (VIC20) recently got 2 reviews, both with good scores.

RGCD - 4 out of 5 stars! Read the review here: www.rgcd.co.uk/2012/12/avalanche-vic20zx81cbm-pet.html

Commodore Free, Issue 65 - 8/10. You can read the review here: www.commodorefree.com/magazine/vol6/issue65.pdf

Down! for the Sinclair ZX-81 got reviewed in Retrogamer Magazine, Issue 111
    and the game received a nice 82% review score.

You can check out the review here: www.revival-studios.com/media/zx81/down/down_zx81_review.jpg

COMING SOON

Here's a quick preview of what's coming up.

January:

I will focus on getting Astrododge shipped out while working on some new stuff behind the scenes.

February:

[VIDEOPAC/ODYSSEY2]: Air-Assault (February 28, 2013 at the Deurne Retro
    Event). More on this game next month.

[COMMODORE PET]: Down! will get a release for the Commodore PET.

More news and announcements next month!

Kind regards,
    Martijn / Revival Studios

Revival Studios - Game development for Classic systems such as the Atari
    , Colecovision, Commodore, MSX , Sega, Videopac/Odyssey2 , Vectrex , ZX81
    and more.

www.revival-studios.com

COMMODORE USA'S C64X CREATOR &
    CELEBRITY BARRY ALTMAN DIES

Barry Altman, CEO of Commodore USA, passed away in December, but news of
    this was not announced until now. For the official announcement, see
    --- CrashWrite 2.0
    * Origin: --:)-- Dragon's Lair BBS --(:- (39:901/281)
  • From Stephen Walsh@39:901/281 to all on Tue Mar 26 20:03:14 2013

forums.commodore.net/showthre...man-(1949-2012)

Truly,
    Robert Bernardo

Fresno Commodore User Group videocam.net.au/fcug

C64LIST

C64List is a Windows command line based tool to aid in cross-development of Commodore 64 software, particularly BASIC software development. It converts
    and detokenizes .prg and .p00 files into .txt files so they can be edited
    using your text editor of choice on a Windows machine. And it also tokenizes and converts modified text files back into .prg or .p00 files that can be loaded directly into a C64 machine or simulator such as Vice.

C64List also currently has some limited support for disassembling machine language programs; we intend to add more support for this in the future.

C64List was designed and developed by Jeff Hoag

csdb.dk/release/index.php?id=114706

C64 FILE BROWSER

Alan Reed has released NAV, a C64 file browser designed for navigating the
    uIEC drive and other SD2IEC devices. It also works with the IDE64 (thanks to Schema) and 'real' Commodore drives. NAV lets you navigate up to five drives, reads D64/D71/D81/DNP/M2I disk images, and can be controlled by 1351 mouse, joystick, or keyboard. For more info including screen shots and D64 download, visit Alan's CommodoreServer blog at

tinyurl.com/aeu32db

"ALAN'S COMMENTS"

Browsing through directories and disks is just point and click! Drives like
    the uIEC that can store gigabytes of software can be tedious and frustrating
    to navigate. NAV lets you easily work with D64/D71/D81/DNP/M2I disk images as well as "real" Commodore disks and the IDE64. Up to five drives at a time!

COMMODORE FREE: Some love it others hate it, but here is another
    release/update to Nav for the Commodore 64 range of machines, written in DOTbasic. Personally I love it!

csdb.dk/release/?id=115764&rss

NAV VERSION .9.6

News from the Blog

The Nav file browser for the C64 gets a big update!

There are so many changes in this version of NAV that I thought I should
    create a new blog entry for it. Find it in the Public Disk area here on CommodoreServer, or download it directly HERE.

Some of the changes include:

* More drive icons.

* The font has been improved, directory listings look better.

* NAV now displays the number of files on the disk.

* Lots of bug fixes.

* LOAD and RUN the CHANGES program to read the complete changelog. As before,
    type "@help" in NAV to get a full list of features.

* You can now choose from 12 different backgrounds. I copied most of these
    tiles from ones used in GEOS (thanks ShadowM).

Unfortunately, NAV still does not work with the Final Cartridge III. Sorry. It seems as though there is a way to temporarily disable the FCIII to allow it to work with NAV... but I can't figure it out... yet. Feel free to drop me a line if you think you can help. Please let me know about bugs, suggestions, etc. Be nice.

Blog here

www.commodoreserver.com/BlogEntryView.asp?EID=905D90F23198440EA8C31D8BB46AC87E

FLOPPY DISK TABLE

eu.fab.com/sale/5070/product/108455/

A must have for the real die hard retro fan although the price could put of everyone who thought they may want to buy one £680

MORE DETAILS

Based on the 3 ½ inch diskette design. Features a super special secret space. Handmade. Unique lasered serial number. No

* assembly required.

* Brand Neulant van Exel Finish Hardwaxed

* MaterialRolled Steel, Stainless Steel

* Colour Silver, Anthracite Grey

* Measurements: D 76 cm W 79 cm H 33 cm

* Weight: 30 kg

ANNOUNCING THE FIRST EVER VINTAGE
    COMPUTER FESTIVAL SOUTHEAST

The original Vintage Computer Festival was founded by Sellam Ismail and held
    in Pleasanton, California during October, 1997. Now, finally, the greater Atlanta area / southeast region of the US gets its very own!

ROSWELL, Georgia - February 4, 2013 - Vintage Computer Festival Southeast - a public celebration of computer history and nostalgia - will be held on
    Saturday & Sunday, April 20 & 21. Our mission remains the same as that very first show:

The main mission of the Vintage Computer Festival is to promote the preservation of "obsolete" computers by offering attendees a chance to experience the technologies, people and stories that embody the remarkable
    tale of the computer revolution.

We will educate and entertain!

A large premier exhibit will welcome each attendee as they enter the festival
    - The Apple Pop-Up Museum which tells the story of how a small start-up company, founded in a garage by two young friends, became the leading consumer electronics and personal computer company in the world. The exhibit displays
    an exclusive collection of game-changing Apple personal computers and consumer electronic products while presenting the history of the company since its founding in 1976 to the present. An Apple I, the first disk ][ and controller card, original apple ][, original Lisa and even a Xerox Alto are among the
    rare artefacts to be displayed, plus much, much more.

Within the 6,000 square feet of display space that this premier exhibit occupies will be the following rooms: Pre-Apple Room, Apple I Room, apple ][ Room, Turmoil Years Room, No Founders Left Room, Jobs' Come Back Room, Ive's Colours Room, iPod / iPhone / iPad Room, The Timeline Lounge and Apple's Present to the Future Room.

Dozens of exhibitors will be present from all over the region, plus many from other parts of the country. A large variety of historic computers will be represented in the exhibit hall for live demonstrations by their owners.

A vintage game station will be available for children and adults to play classic games on classic computer and game console systems.

Two retrocomputing kit building classes will be held, plus continual, inexpensive introduction to soldering classes.

Many luminous speakers and special presenters are now being scheduled.

The VCFSE is hosted and produced by the Computer Museum of America and the Atlanta Historical Computing Society.

One-day adult tickets to the VCFSE are $10, with a two-day pass for $15. Children ages 17 and younger are admitted free when accompanied by a parent or guardian. For hours, location, and other details, please visit vintage.org/2013/southeast

David Greelish, Director, Vintage Computer Festival Southeast 1.0 david@classiccomputing.com

Best,
    David Greelish

Computer Historian, Writer, Podcaster & Speaker Founder of the Atlanta Historical Computing Society about.me/davidgreelish
    Director of the Vintage Computer
    Festival Southeast 1.0 - 4/20 & 4/21,
    vintage.org/2013/southeast/

RETRO RELATED

Sent: 16 February 2013 12:45
    To: Commodore Free
    Subject: [64hdd] New product from the
    maker of 64HDD

Hi All,

As my kids grow up I decided to give hem an interest in electronics and
    coding, as a back-up to their rather healthy interest in just playing games!

Introducing KodeKLIX and the PUP; a hand-held gaming console.

www.kodeklix.com

The PUP is a simple hand-held console that provides the key elements of a game system - LCD screen, sound and user control - in a handy pocket sized package. It was Winner of the November 2012 PICAXE Project Prize.

The PUP is based around a 20pin PICAXE microcontroller - its amazing what you can do these days with just one chip! The current version uses the 20M2, but the pin assignment have been selected to allow an older 20M or more powerful 20X2 chip to also be used.

Several games have already been coded so far including cut-down clones of
    retro classics like Invader
    --- CrashWrite 2.0
    * Origin: --:)-- Dragon's Lair BBS --(:- (39:901/281)