• Commodore Free, Issue 68 - Part7

From Stephen Walsh@39:901/281 to all on Tue Mar 26 19:59:12 2013
    ENTS FROM THE AUTHOR

As I continue to resurrect my lost VIC-20 games, I bring you "Olympic Dash". I had made an ASCII 100 meter dash and javelin throw event-based game back in 1988 and me and my friends spent many an afternoon mashing the joysticks
    trying to beat each other's records. In 1996, I had made several graphics for
    a multi-event track and field game (in the same vein as Epyx's "Summer Games" and Konami's "Track and Field"), but I had only ever programmed the 100 meter dash event and putting it aside so I could finish programming it at a future date.

So instead of pondering and mulling over for another 17 years to finish the other events, I decided to make a splash screen, instructions menu and mock screen shots of the unfinished events packaged around the 100 meter event-- just to finally put it out now. Despite it being a single-event game, it is still playable. Just use your imagination as to how the other events that I wanted to program would be like.

sites.google.com/site/gdbsite5000/main/olympicdash.d64?attredirects=0&d=1

VIC GAME DONT BLOW IT RELEASED

CREDITS

Name: Don't Blow It
    Author: vicist
    Released: January 7, 2013
    Requirements: Unexpanded VIC-20
    Description:
    You have 1 minute to defuse the
    bomb by joining the wires (!) to
    the lights.

Not much to write here and the game
    itself is quite explanatory, I have
    played similar games, here you use
    the keys

* Q up
    * Z Down
    * B left
    * M Right

With the intention of defusing a bomb (ohhh sounds scary) by connecting the wires (thick red lines) to form a connection with the green lights, of course this wouldn't be any good unless you had a countdown timer and a bomb that explodes. The game is available in both NTSC and Pal formats and is downloadable as a PRG file from the weblink shown below the game is also available with joystick control and as a Machine code program, which does
    speed things up and make the game more enjoyable. Sounds are limited to blips and a clangy explosion as the bomb goes off, also talking about explosions as the bomb goes off the screen shakes. Ouch

Download: homepage.ntlworld.com/kevinpotts/vic.html

MAGITOOL RELEASED FOR THE VIC

CREDITS

Name: magiTOOL
    Author: Ghislain
    Released: February 3, 2013
    Requirements:
    Unexpanded VIC-20 + Disk Drive.
    Description:
    Self-made toolkit that I used back
    in the day with my VIC-20 projects.

COMMENTS FROM THE AUTHOR

In the pre-internet days, I didn't have any VIC-20 tools like an ML monitor, graphics or sound editor. So I made my own. These were made between 1990-1996 and I put them all together under a single package:

* magiPROG: Machine language assembler that uses decimal numbers.

* magiCHAR: Build 8x8 custom characters

* magiDRAW: 64x96 multicolour image editor

* magiSONG: Play and record music with a piano keyboard. 7 voice combinations
    and 3 scales are supported.

SUECK GAME RETRON PHASE ON RELEASED

Released as a Zip file containing both the D64 and TAP images; this is yet another SEUCK game, I do like the naive intro splash screen though; it would look very cool on the wall in my man cave. Richard brings more sonically delightful sounds; with the music pumping out on the main screen, and from
    here the game tells you it's actually a SEUCK game with enhancements it not hard to see that. Not in the least phased by these comments I press on and see what the games like. The music sounds good

Its as decent enough game, you move your ship left right forward and back and can fire forward and also out the side while moving to the corresponding direction, it does get tricky as you can only fly in a certain area, that's over the sections with the square grids touching the sides of anything else
    is instant death.

numerous things fly towards you however they can be quite easy to outwit if
    you remember the flight patters, although that not the say the game is in anyway easy to master, enough goes on to warrant this as quite a good game
    none the less is take from it being a SEUCK construction, albeit with some coding enhancements.

CREDITS:

Code: Chris Yates,
    Richard of Blazon,
    People Of Liberty,
    Psytronik Software,
    Scene World Magazine,
    The New Dimension
    Music: Richard of Blazon,
    People Of Liberty,
    Psytronik Software,
    Scene World Magazine,
    The New Dimension
    Graphics: Arcadestation
    Design: Arcadestation
    Idea: Arcadestation
    Linking: Richard of Blazon,
    People Of Liberty,
    Psytronik Software,
    Scene World Magazine,
    The New Dimension
    Loader: Martin Piper

DOWNLOAD:

csdb.dk/getinternalfile.php/111874/Retron_Phase_One.zip

DIGITAL TALK ISSUE 96 RELEASED

Another issue of the disk magazine
    Digital talk has been released

CREDITS:

Music: Hermit of Samar,
    SIDrip Alliance,
    Singular, Lyon, MAC,
    Response of Darklite,
    Hoaxers, SLD
    Graphics: Nyquist of Digital Talk
    Disk Cover: Telespielator of INFERIOR
    Software International
    Text: 8R0TK4$T3N of Crypt,
    Digital Talk,
    C-Man of Digital Talk,
    Evil Joe of C64 Club
    Berlin, Digital Talk,
    Klinge of Digital Talk,
    Logiker of Digital Talk,
    Mugg of Digital Talk,
    Nyquist of Digital Talk,
    Paul Bearer,
    Trixter of Digital Talk,
    Protovision
    Linking: Nyquist of Digital Talk

DOWNLOAD:

* board.nemesiz.tk/index.php?page=DownloadDBFileDownload&dataID=357

* csdb.dk/getinternalfile.php/111895/dt096.zip

S-BLOX V1.0 RELEASED

Yet another Tetris clone, and while it may not be the best I have played; it's far from the worst! The music may drive you nuts; but you can turn it off, although doing so means you are playing without any sounds and the game itself doesn't produce any noise apart from music, that's now turned off! Also the white screen with background of the same colour will make your eyes go wonky after some time playing the game. The release is a CRT file or cartridge file, not sure why a PRG or even D64 wasn't in the archive as well; as to most users this would be the preferable method of transferring the game to their
    commodore machine. Also included with the release was a link to a VBS file, although I couldn't get this to run on my PC. Here is the information out of the games accompanying text file.

INTRODUCTION

S-Blox is a clone of the old standard, Tetris. As such, the object of the game is to complete rows of 10 consecutive blocks. Blocks are delivered in one of seven shapes. Each shape is made up of individual blocks. When a shape is placed into the last row which allows it to move, the row is checked for completeness and if it is complete, the player is rewarded with points.

SCORING

The shapes available in S-Blox range in size that allow anywhere from one to four lines to be completed at a time. Each time you drop a shape onto the
    stack of blocks, the entire stack is evaluated for completed lines. Here is
    the scoring possibilities:

Number Lines Score Given
    1 20
    2 50
    3 200
    4 800

PLAYING THE GAME

To play the game, you can use either the joystick, cursor keys or A S D F keys to control the shape as follows:

Key Action Joystick
    A or LEFT Move Left Left
    S or RIGHT Move Right Right
    D or UP Turn Shape Fire
    F or DOWN Drop Shape Down

Additional
    --- CrashWrite 2.0
    * Origin: --:)-- Dragon's Lair BBS --(:- (39:901/281)