• Commodore Free, Issue 67 - Part5

From Stephen Walsh@39:901/281 to all on Thu Feb 14 22:32:03 2013
    * Game Ports panel Test mode can be used to test any kind of input event, not just joystick events.

* Lots of Input panel improvements. (qualifiers, custom events etc)

* Easy to use debug logging option added to Paths panel.

* Optional MIDI In to Out routing added.

* 64-bit build supports 2.5G address space, allowing up to 2G of Z3 expansion memory.

2.4.X BUGS FIXED:

* Add Hard drive dialog didn't list all hard drives on some Windows XP systems.

* New CDFS didn't work with DVDs (2G size limit) and Joliet CDs.

* Extended ADF write support was accidentally disabled.

* "ALT-TAB or middle mouse button untraps mouse - F12 opens settings" window title was missing.

* Directory file system 64-bit seek packet implementation was broken.

* USB HID game controller [-] and [+] input axis movement was broken.

* SPTI + built-in CDFS crash.

* uaescsi.device error codes fixed (MakeCD)

OLDER BUGS FIXED:

* RTG palette (if 8-bit mode) wasn't saved to statefile.

* Disable screen saver option haven't worked properly since 2.0.

* Warp mode didn't work in all vsync modes.

* CD image mounter MDS image CD audio tracks didn't play if sub channel data was not included, MDS image data tracks with sub channel data didn't work at all.

* CD/CD image on the fly switching was unreliable. (Again)

* Random unexplained graphics glitches when cycle-exact CPU enabled and bsdsocket emulation was in use.

* Some chipset mode on the fly configuration changes caused blank screen when returning back to RTG mode.

* Volume control in WASAPI exclusive mode didn't work.

* Windows XP blank screen after ALT-TAB back to Direct3D full screen mode.

* Direct3D pixel alignment errors in some modes. (Again)

* Many Input configuration fixes.

* Windows Mouse mode sometimes stopped at invisible barriers.

* CD32 CD audio was delayed.

You can download the latest version from the links below:

For more and the latest please visit the Official WinUAE Website.

www.winuae.net/

NEW ASSEMBLY LANGUAGE
    PROGRAMMING BLOG

I'm kicking off a new blog on Assembly language programming (6502, PIC/dsPIC, MIPS, ARM, AMD64) with a shout out to Dave/Bil/Terry/Fred of the Commodore TED series and how it managed ROM-over-RAM... I was reading the data-space portion of the reference manual for the Microchip PIC24EP/dsPIC33EP series of 16-bit micros that came out last year, and thinking "I've seen this before" It's hosted on Wordpress for now...

swissembly.wordpress.com

D. Zoss

REVIVAL STUDIOS RELEASES AVALACHE
    FOR THE PET

Revival Studios is proud to announce that they started development and publishing for the Commodore PET home computers. Their first release is a port of their game called Avalanche. Avalanche is a fun action game people can just pickup and play. The player has to shoot the various gems that are falling
    down from the top of the screen. The gems are marked with symbols and the player has to match up the symbol of his ship with the symbol on the gems.

The game will automatically increase in speed, but by strategically shooting gems you can align up to 5 gems in a row to gain points as well as slowing
    down the game for prolonged gameplay.

GAME FEATURES:

* Available on Cassette Tape and as Free Digital Download

* Works on the all PET computers (except for the PET-2001)

* Fast, flicker free, arcade gameplay

* Sound support

You can see the game running on a real Commodore PET system at:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BSZTqwrWb0

The game is available on Cassette tape and as free digital download.

For more information about the new releases for the Commodore PET, including screenshots and packaging photos, visit: cbmpet.revival-studios.com/

REVIEW: AVALANCHE FOR THE PET
    By Commodore Free

How can I possible pass up this excuse to test Revival studios version of avalanche (that was reviewed recently for the Vic; in Commodore Free). Well I couldn't, so here is the review that I erm couldn't pass up on! Ok; so maybe
    my build up was a little weak to say the least, but the game played well on
    the Vic; and so, it sort of follows that the same game play will work on any platform, remove the colours, change the graphics and you will have a Pet version that plays just as well right?

Actually yes! it does but for some reason it looks even better on the Pet,
    than it did on the VIC! Maybe it's a nostalgic trip on my part back to
    college; or maybe the Green screen has wormed its way into my subconscious, anyway here is the review......

Like I said for the Vic review; Not many people would attempt to program the Vic; never mind the Commodore Pet, (due mainly to the more limited resources) and as I have always said; "this is a real shame" as the machines are still very capable you just need to apply some lateral thinking, even the
    limitations could work to a programmers advantage! Its often been said; "a
    good game is a good game", and "a good game doesn't need to have fancy
    graphics and effects" and "it's more the idea and implementation", however the limited resources of the Vic and Pet put many programmers off, so it's always interesting to see new programs appear especially when they are cross conversions.

LOADING THE GAME

we see a scroll of the logo appear and disappear, looks very inspiring!

and then we are presented with the rather stark menu screen with no options just "start game" Pressing the space bar (as I don't have a joystick) starts the game.

The object of the game (as was described recently in Commodore free(is to
    shoot the aliens as they advance, you note they are all differently designed, and note that you have a design on the front of your ship you can change this by pressing Q you should match your ships designs/Charm (they cycle round by constantly pressing Q) with the aliens; and then shoot! this way gains more points than just shooting; and doing the latter (just shooting) will give you
    a rather quick game!; where you will score next to zero and find it all ends rather quickly.

Match 5 or more hits of the same charms on the aliens to score big bucks.

Sounds is minimal blips but really it's all the game needs,

As you have read this is all about strategy.

Sadly the game doesn't have a high score screen and also doesn't display the high score in the game; you just see your total score at the game end, on the Vic version this was the same, I think that it at least needs a high score feature (otherwise I can't really think of any improvements), without the high score feature and playing the game with friends (assuming you have some) could result in arguments about who scored the most.

* Q - Change the charm
    * O - Move left
    * P - Move right
    * SPACE - Fire

The VIC review can be found here

www.commodorefree.com/magazine/vol6/issue65.html#ARTICLE13

The game scores the same as the Vic version, and also has the same summary!

SCORES

Graphics: 7/10
    Sound: 6/10
    Gameplay: 9/10
    Overall: 8/10

SUMMARY

A Great frustrating game of skill and speed, more of the same for me please!

READERS COMMENTS
    Magazine Ideas

To: Commodorefree@commodorefree.com
    Sent: Thu, 29 Nov 2012, 14:46
    Subject: One liners.

Hi Nigel,

I hope that you're well :-)

I've been messing around with BASIC again for a laugh, and I thought that a Commodore FREE One Liner competition (or one liner submissions) would be good, except make it a two-liner competition. The idea is that you can clear the screen and set up your variables in the first line of BASIC and then do everything else in the second. Setting up the variables f
    --- CrashWrite 2.0
    * Origin: --:)-- Dragon's Lair BBS --(:- (39:901/281)