• CBM Free Magazine, Issue 56 - Part 8

From Stephen Walsh@39:901/281 to All on Wed Dec 7 10:24:53 2011
    the sales figures of many early systems and we can find wildly different estimates. Confusion doesn't reign only on the hardware side though as many famous games are still surrounded by misinformation too: for example, many people still believe the original "Final Fantasy" got its name because Square was closing down! I definitely learned lots of things while writing "the Golden Age", especially on the very early days thanks to my discussions with Ted Dabney, whom I really have to thank a lot for his kindness and help.

Q. Was there a system ever launched (and from your research) where you though DOH why have they even bother creating this; it’s a dead duck even before they
    put the machine on sale?

Too many to list! From the earliest generation where many companies wanted to replicate the Atari VCS or the Intellivision successes, to Philips and its CD-I and the Apple Pippin. No matter how big the market can potentially be: there are only a limited number of players who can really strive for success but this was a lesson we had to learn the hard way.

Q. Was there ever a machine you thought would be a “dead duck” but actually you
    found is sold quite well?

I know many people would say the Wii here but, instead, I was quite confident on its selling potential after I saw it for the first time at GDC in 2006. It may be surprising but I'd actually say the PS3! Its high manufacturing costs, difficult to program multi core CPU, blue ray discs (when movies where likely to start a transition to digital streaming and delivery) and the soon removed hardware retro compatibility with the PS2, really made me wonder about Sony's strategy. Anyway, the system still managed to recover from its slow start thanks to some fantastic exclusive games (another example of how SW rescued a HW platform which was in clear trouble).

Q. Who do you feel is the most inspirational user or company in regards to 1.Computer games?
    2.The home computer market?
    3.What individual or company was detrimental to both, either with lawsuits or patenting things so tight as to affect the markets for other users?

The answer to the first two questions is quite straightforward, and I guess most of our readers will agree with me: Commodore! Though, honestly, also Sinclair needs to be given at least an honourable mention! The third point is much more complex as lawsuits and over patenting are a diffuse problem that existed since the very first days of the industry with Magnavox (the producer of the first home gaming system, the Odyssey) suing almost anyone who wanted to get into the market without paying them royalties. While I believe this is extremely dangerous in the long run and very detrimental for innovation and progress as it completely defies the original purpose of a patent (i.e. to be used as a IP "defence" tool and not as an "offense" to get easy money), I'm afraid this is a necessary evil we need to live with, as long as patent laws don't get changed.

Q. Would you like to list your 5 top games and the reasons why?

I'm afraid I have to limit these to games that appeared on C64 otherwise I'll never be able to select only 5! And, even with such a restriction, it is really a hard task. In no particular order:

- Planetfall: a fantastic text adventure & the first game that made people cry

- Alter Ego: one of the most immersive games ever, despite the lack of fancy
    graphics or real time action

- Impossible Mission: did I already say how much I loved this game? Besides, it
    was the first action/platformer to have a proper ending.

- Elite: trading, combat and a universe to explore freely. What more can we
    wish for?

- Spy vs. Spy: two player competitive action had never been so much fun!

Q. Are you surprised at the “retro” interest in machines and games?

At first I was but, actually, if we think about it, it is not surprising at all. We are getting older, and naturally remember our youth with nostalgia, so remembering also the old computers and system that played such an important role in our youth is a very natural consequence. Collecting and researching the old games is then a very instinctive next step... Surely I would have never imagined seeing old games for the Atari 2600, the Intellivision or the NES selling for several thousands of dollars, though!

Q. The commodore 64 with Geos and various updates can output to laser printers, it can do this to postscript colour printers, (as you will know) what is the best use of “retro machines” you have seen recently?

I have to agree on the Geos updates. Geos was amazing back in the day and see how it can still be used even today is really mind-boggling.

Q. The games industry seems to be Nintendo, XBox, Sony, do you think there is room for anyone else or do you feel we are about to turn another corner with more people playing games on phones rather than consoles, and or using media centre devices for games when at home, like internet enabled TVs etc.?

Three main players seem like the perfect number for the industry. If another one kicks in successfully in the same space, most likely it will be at the expenses of another company, like Microsoft taking over Sega's place or Sony filling the vacuum left by Atari. The mobile, online and social trends seem on a clear expansion route and, in the end, I've the feeling that "traditional" consoles, to survive, will have to evolve into these directions too, by integrating more and more online functionality and acting in synergy with mobile devices to provide a more streamlined playing experience.

Q. Do you have a question you think I haven’t answered?

This was the most extensive and complete interview I ever went through so no,
    I don't think you left out any important question!

Q. Finally you have unlimited funds and resources to create something (it could be none computer related) what would you create and why?

I guess I would start a game development studio with the specific aim of experimenting with new game mechanics and ideas, bringing forward the legacy and spirit of the early development days!

All best!
    Roberto

COMMODORE 64 GAME REVIEW OUT SPACE

Loading the game we are presented with a title screen with a few options, quickly grasping the joystick (in port2) and pressing fire we are transported to a vertical space of top down scrolling stars.

Looking at the games graphics you could very easily dismiss the game, I know

--- CrashWrite 2.0
    * Origin: -:)--- Dragon's Lair BBS --(:- (39:901/281)