• Re: Comcast weirdness

From Nelgin@46:1/194 to Nightfox on Tue Feb 26 11:14:37 2019
    Re: Re: Comcast weirdness
    By: Nightfox to Nelgin on Wed Dec 26 2018 01:40 pm

I'd give MoCa a try but I don't like coffee ;)

I guess you don't like the Java programming language either? ;)

I hate Java and everything to do with it. It's a lazy person's C :) Learn to write portable code lol.
    --- SBBSecho 3.06-Linux
    * Origin: End Of The Line BBS - endofthelinebbs.com (46:1/194)
  • From Nightfox@46:1/150 to Nelgin on Tue Feb 26 12:47:23 2019
    Re: Re: Comcast weirdness
    By: Nelgin to Nightfox on Tue Feb 26 2019 11:14 am

I guess you don't like the Java programming language either? ;)

I hate Java and everything to do with it. It's a lazy person's C :) Learn to write portable code lol.

Well Java is portable, probably more so than C because Java's runtime runs on multiple platforms. You can often take the same compiled Java binaries and run
    them anywhere there is a Java runtime. In C, you have to specifically compile it for each different platform, and also in C code, you have to take specific care to make your C code portable - You have to be careful of OS-specific APIs you use if you want your C program to build and run on multiple platforms. Often it means creating a way to use one API or the other, depending on which OS you're compiling it for, which is something you don't have to do with Java.

Nightfox
    --- SBBSecho 3.06-Win32
    * Origin: Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com (46:1/150)
  • From SwordofKas@46:1/104 to Nightfox on Mon Apr 1 10:57:19 2019
    I echo everything you say here. I will also add for the other gentleman is
    the issue of C with other CPU architectures. As a Linux guy, this is something that I am seeing more and more with the rise of ARM devices running Linux distros. When I compile my C program on my Intel X86-64 laptop, I can't use that binary for my Raspberry Pi. I would have to recompile it on the RPI or cross compile it. C isn't very portable.

This is why many Linux distros need to have separate ISOs and distros for
    other architectures.

I am not bashing C. I am actually teaching myself C because I have a huge respect for it and it is used prominently in the Linux kernal and many of the programs used in the distros.
    --- Mystic BBS v1.12 A43 2019/03/03 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: Black Flag <ACiD Telnet HQ> blackflagbbs.com (46:1/104)
  • From Nightfox@46:1/150 to SwordofKas on Mon Apr 1 09:28:18 2019
    Re: Comcast weirdness
    By: SwordofKas to Nightfox on Mon Apr 01 2019 10:57 am

I echo everything you say here. I will also add for the other gentleman
    is

It would be helpful to quote the part of the message you're replying to, to make it easier to follow the conversation. I haven't seen this thread in a while, so I don't remember what I said here.

Nightfox
    --- SBBSecho 3.07-Win32
    * Origin: Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com (46:1/150)
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@46:1/115 to SwordofKas on Mon Apr 1 11:51:54 2019
    Re: Comcast weirdness
    By: SwordofKas to Nightfox on Mon Apr 01 2019 10:57 am

something that I am seeing more and more with the rise of ARM devices running Linux distros. When I compile my C program on my Intel X86-64 laptop, I can't use that binary for my Raspberry Pi. I would have to recompile it on the RPI or cross compile it. C isn't very portable.

C is very portable - you'd need to *re-write* the program for different architectures back in the bad old days. The face that C was portable by recompiling for different platforms was a big selling point.
    --- SBBSecho 3.06-Win32
    * Origin: realitycheckbbs.org -- yesterday's tech today (46:1/115)