• archives.thebbs.org files gone

From Nightfox@46:1/150 to All on Thu Jun 9 19:53:27 2022
    Earlier, I was trying to download a file from archives.thebbs.org, and while their site is still up, and FTP site is still running, it seems their FTP site is empty. I was able to log into their FTP site (using a FTP program, since web browsers no longer support FTP), and I was able to log in (using "anonymous" for the username and an email address for the password), but when I do a ls, no files are listed. It seems their FTP site is empty.

Does anyone know if there is a mirror or backup of archives.thebbs.org available?

Nightfox
    --- SBBSecho 3.15-Linux
    * Origin: Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com (46:1/150)
  • From jack phlash@46:1/145 to Nightfox on Fri Jun 10 07:51:06 2022
    on 09 Jun 2022, Nightfox said...

Earlier, I was trying to download a file from archives.thebbs.org, and while their site is still up, and FTP site is still running, it seems their FTP site is empty. I was able to log into their FTP site (using a FTP program, since web browsers no longer support FTP), and I was able
    to log in (using "anonymous" for the username and an email address for
    the password), but when I do a ls, no files are listed. It seems their FTP site is empty.

That's a huge bummer, though it's been clear that the site has been on autopilot for many years now, to the point where it could barely even function as archive at this point. I can't say I'm too shocked. :/

Does anyone know if there is a mirror or backup of archives.thebbs.org available?

I have one, but I don't currently have it up anywhere since I heard Mike was kind of touchy about people mirroring his site. There is another one (not mine, but I did contribute some of the files to it) on archive.org. It doesn't look not quite as complete, but is very close:

https://archive.org/details/archives_thebbs_org

|08j |15A C K |08p |15H L A S H |08!

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2021/12/25 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: d i s t o r t i o n // d1st.org (46:1/145)
  • From Nightfox@46:1/150 to jack phlash on Fri Jun 10 11:20:44 2022
    Re: Re: archives.thebbs.org files gone
    By: jack phlash to Nightfox on Fri Jun 10 2022 07:51 am

Earlier, I was trying to download a file from archives.thebbs.org,
    and while their site is still up, and FTP site is still running, it
    seems their FTP site is empty. I was able to log into their FTP
    site (using a FTP program, since web browsers no longer support
    FTP), and I was able to log in (using "anonymous" for the username
    and an email address for the password), but when I do a ls, no files
    are listed. It seems their FTP site is empty.

That's a huge bummer, though it's been clear that the site has been on autopilot for many years now, to the point where it could barely even function as archive at this point. I can't say I'm too shocked. :/

Digital Man (author of Synchronet) said he was able to download from archive.thebbs.org recently using Internet Explorer. I just tried that, and sure enough, it was able to download from their FTP site. It make me wonder what Internet Exporer is doing differently, because it appeared to me that the files on their FTP site were all gone..

Nightfox
    --- SBBSecho 3.15-Linux
  • From jack phlash@46:1/145 to Nightfox on Fri Jun 10 14:23:28 2022
    on 10 Jun 2022, Nightfox said...

Digital Man (author of Synchronet) said he was able to download from archive.thebbs.org recently using Internet Explorer. I just tried that, and sure enough, it was able to download from their FTP site. It make
    me wonder what Internet Exporer is doing differently, because it
    appeared to me that the files on their FTP site were all gone..

Yeah, I thought that might have been one of the things that was happening to you but I figured it was easier to link you to that archive than go into that rabbit hole. :P

I believe it's an ugly combination of what seems like some measures put into place to prevent mirroring (temporarily blocking IP that connect improperly and/or too often) as well what I assume is a now outdated HTTP agent string checking scheme (I had the most success with spoofing a very old Internet Explorer version.)

Honestly, I'd love to know more about exactly what he's doing, as some of the behavior I've observed makes little sense to me despite the hours I poured into this and having some professional experience in this area myself. I never quite figured out the interplay between the HTTP agent and the FTP server or 100% nailed down a pattern for the IP bans but obviously I figure out *enough* to get around it. Even still, I only did a bit at a time out of respect for his server's resources just in case that was part of what he didn't want people mirroring it in the first place.

What I *do* know is that as an end user it all feels practically unusable these days, and I seriously question the value of putting up a file archive if you won't let people, you know, download from it. :P Honestly, I never intended to mirror the site in the first place, but I got so annoyed with simply trying to use it casually to grab a few files that it kicked off this whole scheme of trying to figure it out and get around it.

Fun times.

• From Nightfox@46:1/150 to jack phlash on Fri Jun 10 14:57:04 2022
    By: jack phlash to Nightfox on Fri Jun 10 2022 02:23 pm

What I *do* know is that as an end user it all feels practically unusable these days, and I seriously question the value of putting up a file archive if you won't let people, you know, download from it. :P Honestly,

That's true. It seems like a bit much sometimes.

I never intended to mirror the site in the first place, but I got so annoyed with simply trying to use it casually to grab a few files that it kicked off this whole scheme of trying to figure it out and get around it.

I am a bit concerned about the site/files actually going away at some point though. It might be handy if the site was mirrored and/or uploaded to the Internet Archive or something.

Nightfox
    --- SBBSecho 3.15-Linux
  • From jack phlash@46:1/145 to Nightfox on Fri Jun 10 20:04:43 2022

I am a bit concerned about the site/files actually going away at some point though. It might be handy if the site was mirrored and/or
    uploaded to the Internet Archive or something.

Absolutely. That was my other driver - the site has basically looked the same since I first started using years and years ago, and I'm fairly sure the user agent string issue is partially due to it not being kept up to date, so I have legitimate concerns about it going down and some of that stuff disappearing forever.

I'm not sure if you took a look at that link I posted yet, but it was indeed a *mostly* complete mirror of the site that had been uploaded to the Internet Archive.

• From Nightfox@46:1/150 to jack phlash on Fri Jun 10 20:55:37 2022
    By: jack phlash to Nightfox on Fri Jun 10 2022 08:04 pm

I'm not sure if you took a look at that link I posted yet, but it was indeed a *mostly* complete mirror of the site that had been uploaded to the Internet Archive.

I just had a look. Interesting that that was posted there, and good to see.

Nightfox
    --- SBBSecho 3.15-Linux
  • From jack phlash@46:1/145 to Nightfox on Sat Jun 11 17:39:26 2022

I just had a look. Interesting that that was posted there, and good to see.

Probably not coincidentally, someone just posted *another* version of the an archive of the site to archive.org, and this one seems to be more thorough, even containing a bunch of files that were in some hidden directories not on the site (and that I failed to include in my own archiving efforts.) I'd recommend checking this one out instead:

https://archive.org/details/bbsarchives_2017

Despite the one star review of the archive, I can assure you that from my efforts and a brief look through the contents, it does in fact appear to be legitimate.

• From jack phlash@46:1/145 to jack phlash on Sat Jun 11 19:35:35 2022
    on 11 Jun 2022, jack phlash said...

<...> and this one seems to be more thorough, even containing a bunch of jp> files that were in some hidden directories not on the site (and that I jp> failed to include in my own archiving efforts.)

Well, after pouring through this new version there is one big issue - he's mangled a lot of filenames with special characters in them, most notably "-" which was use quite a lot in underground scene releases. Didn't take too long to fix, but still, not great...

• From Nightfox@46:1/150 to jack phlash on Sat Jun 11 22:48:54 2022
    By: jack phlash to Nightfox on Sat Jun 11 2022 05:39 pm

Probably not coincidentally, someone just posted *another* version of the an archive of the site to archive.org, and this one seems to be more thorough, even containing a bunch of files that were in some hidden directories not on the site (and that I failed to include in my own archiving efforts.) I'd recommend checking this one out instead:

Despite the one star review of the archive, I can assure you that from my efforts and a brief look through the contents, it does in fact appear to be legitimate.

Wow, cool. Thanks for the link.

Nightfox
    --- SBBSecho 3.15-Linux
  • From m.att33@46:1/118 to jack phlash on Sat Jun 17 18:58:24 2023
    I was also trying to download some files from that page and it said the same thing to me requiring a login and password

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 2022/07/07 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: Archaic Binary (46:1/118)
  • From jack phlash@46:1/145 to m.att33 on Sun Jun 18 14:13:39 2023
    on 17 Jun 2023, m.att33 said...

I was also trying to download some files from that page and it said the same thing to me requiring a login and password

If you're able, I'd grab the entire archive from archive.org. Far easier in the long run. :/

(Ignore the comment about it not being legit. I'm not sure what Jas Hud thinks was "played with" but it was in fact a fresh mirror of the entire thing made by the uploader.)

• From esc@46:1/111 to m.att33 on Sun Jun 18 02:09:39 2023

Your best bet is to snag this rip of the site:

I'm not sure to what degree of completeness it is, but it's 1.8gb, so... :P

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A49 2023/02/26 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: m O N T E R E Y b B S . c O M (46:1/111)
  • From esc@46:1/111 to jack phlash on Mon Jun 19 20:37:54 2023
    (Ignore the comment about it not being legit. I'm not sure what Jas Hud thinks was "played with" but it was in fact a fresh mirror of the entire thing made by the uploader.)

Sounds like someone's been sipping on that delicious hater-aide as per usual :P

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A49 2023/02/26 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: m O N T E R E Y b B S . c O M (46:1/111)
  • From Jas Hud@46:10/121 to jack phlash on Tue Aug 29 16:27:21 2023
    By: jack phlash to m.att33 on Sun Jun 18 2023 14:13:39

If you're able, I'd grab the entire archive from archive.org. Far easier in long run. :/

(Ignore the comment about it not being legit. I'm not sure what Jas Hud thin was "played with" but it was in fact a fresh mirror of the entire thing made the uploader.)

yeah, ignore me because i know what i'm talking about :D
    it's some junk they got years ago. it's not a 'fresh mirror'

what i uploaded is more reliable. i had actual access to the bbsfiles archive. like his actual files, not just stuff taken from the website.

it's on vert.
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
    * Origin: capitolcityonline.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/HTTP (46:10/121)
  • From Jas Hud@46:10/121 to esc on Tue Aug 29 16:29:25 2023
    By: esc to jack phlash on Mon Jun 19 2023 20:37:54

(Ignore the comment about it not being legit. I'm not sure what Jas Hud thinks was "played with" but it was in fact a fresh mirror of the entir thing made by the uploader.)

Sounds like someone's been sipping on that delicious hater-aide as per usual

i saw this years ago. it's some other file pack that someone is pushing off as archives.thebbs.org's files.

look how they changed all the dates, too.
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
  • From Jas Hud@46:10/121 to jack phlash on Tue Aug 29 16:31:04 2023
    By: jack phlash to m.att33 on Sun Jun 18 2023 14:13:39

If you're able, I'd grab the entire archive from archive.org. Far easier in long run. :/

(Ignore the comment about it not being legit. I'm not sure what Jas Hud thin was "played with" but it was in fact a fresh mirror of the entire thing made the uploader.)

hey, i know my files. i saw this years ago.
    someone tried to build their own filepack.

and why did they change all the time stamps?

there may be SOME thebbs.org files, but the rest are from my own file archives and other sources.
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
  • From jack phlash@46:1/145 to Jas Hud on Tue Aug 29 17:28:36 2023
    on 29 Aug 2023, Jas Hud said...

yeah, ignore me because i know what i'm talking about :D
    it's some junk they got years ago. it's not a 'fresh mirror'

You don't say?

I personally supplied more than half the files in that archive myself, which I had downloaded from the site myself using a custom script I wrote to deal with that site's... issues, and the other half were downloaded by the uploader within, I believe he said, the weeks before he uploaded it using similar methods. I validated his half using a different script and grabbed anything else his missed that I didn't already have. It was a "fresh" mirror of everything that could be crawled from the public web site, and some unliked stuff that could be extrapolated too. This is his version of the archive, and is slightly less complete than my own.

what i uploaded is more reliable. i had actual access to the bbsfiles archive. like his actual files, not just stuff taken from the website.

That's fair. I didn't have any special access beyond what was public and I assume the uploader didn't either since there was nothing I couldn't validate in his archive. Link to your upload?

• From jack phlash@46:1/145 to Jas Hud on Tue Aug 29 17:30:06 2023
    on 29 Aug 2023, Jas Hud said...

hey, i know my files. i saw this years ago.
    someone tried to build their own filepack.

and why did they change all the time stamps?

there may be SOME thebbs.org files, but the rest are from my own file archives and other sources.

This is the publicly accessible contents of archive.thebbs.org from the weeks and months before this was uploaded. If you think someone took your files, you might want to talk to pcmike about that, since he apparently uploaded them all to his archive. :P

• From jack phlash@46:1/145 to Jas Hud on Tue Aug 29 19:13:41 2023
    on 29 Aug 2023, jack phlash said...

what i uploaded is more reliable. i had actual access to the jp> JH> bbsfiles archive. like his actual files, not just stuff taken from jp> JH> website

That's fair. I didn't have any special access beyond what was public and
    I assume the uploader didn't either since there was nothing I couldn't validate in his archive. Link to your upload?

Were you referring to this?

http://vert.synchro.net/?page=002-files.xjs&library=12

If so, I'm not seeing anything unique there that I didn't grab or start to grab myself other than the "hidden" directories, which I got from his archive. Maybe those are what you're referring to? I guess its possible the dude who uploaded the one to archive.org downloaded his part of the files from Vert, or somewhere else hosting your original collection (?) though he clearly didn't have your entire original archive or he wouldn't have needed my contributions. Whatever, I can at least vouch for ~HALF of the files. :)

• From roman@46:10/110 to jack phlash on Tue Nov 28 11:44:44 2023
    You are not right. If the creator of the project has not given permission to reproduce its information and content, then this is a violation of related copyrights. The archive is a large pirate file hosting service that lives off other people's content and receives excess income. I think you need to get permission from the project owners. This is a violation of copyright and a violation of the right to forgotten. If they go to court over this, there could be a lot of problems.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A49 2023/04/30 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: After Hours BBS - The Villages,FL (46:10/110)